Dealing With Drug and Alcohol Abuse For Employees
Available in these formats
Substance abuse is a huge, worldwide problem. In the United States alone there are over 5 million binge drinkers, 17 million illegal drug users and almost 15 million people who abuse prescription medications. Most substance abusers have jobs. In fact, it is estimated that one out of every ten workers has a substance abuse problem. An employee with an alcohol or drug problem can decrease productivity, create a hostile work environment and damage a company’s good name. Worst of all, the actions of a worker who is “under the influence” can completely undermine a company’s efforts to keep people safe. The first in a two-part series on dealing with drug and alcohol abuse in the workplace, this training program discusses the various types of substance abuse that are found in the workplace, how they can affect an employee’s work situation and what employees themselves can do to help keep their workplace drug and alcohol free.
The program includes information on:
- How substances are typically abused by employees
- Alcohol and other depressants, and their effects
- Stimulants, narcotics and hallucinogens, and their effects
- How people get “hooked” on drugs and alcohol.
- Drug dependency
- Alcohol and drug policies
- Helping employees overcome substance abuse